rooster weather vane

Hancock FAQ

Real Estate FAQ Page | Answering Your Questions On Renting and Buying Property.

We have put together some answers to your commonly asked questions below, helping tenants, landlords and homebuyers alike to understand some key elements of the real estate process.

  • Q: Why do I need to show my ID?

    A: Right to Rent legislation checks are part of our referencing process. We will require a form of photographic ID (Passport or driving license) and some form of proof of residency (utility bill or official letter) to complete these checks.

  • Q: What happens to my deposit?

    A: If your tenancy is a Housing Act tenancy, then your deposit will be registered with a deposit protection scheme. At Hancock and Partners, we use the DPS (Deposit Protection Service).

  • Q: What if I fail referencing?

    A: Depending on the circumstances surrounding your failed reference, we will discuss with you any options there are for you to continue with the process. This may include paying rent in advance or providing a guarantor.

  • Q: Can I have pets at the property?

    A: We are happy to check with the individual Landlords to check that there are no restrictions regarding pets.

  • Q: How Long does referencing take?

    A: Generally it will take 5-7 working days

  • Q: How long will the contact be?

    A: An AST (Assured Shorthold Tenancy) must be a minimum of 6 months but generally most Landlords like an initial 12 months.

  • Q: Why choose an agent to manage your property?

    Choosing an agent to manage your property means you don’t have to get involved in the day-to-day management of the tenancy. It also means you have a third party to deal with tricky conversations with your tenants. Legislation is changing all the time for lettings, so an agent will keep on top of everything you need to make a smooth, compliant tenancy.

  • Q: What safety certificates do I need to rent out my property?

    You need three safety certificates you rent out your property; a gas certificate (if your property has gas), an electrical safety certificate, and an Energy Performance Certificate. We will be able to assist you in getting all the correct certificates for you to rent out your property safely.

  • Q: What happens if my tenant damaged my property?

    This is what the tenant's dilapidation deposit is for. We conduct a full inventory and schedule of conditions at the start of the tenancy and a full independent checkout at the end. Any damage over and above fair wear and tear can be deducted from the deposit or charged to the tenant when they leave.

Any Further Real Estate Questions?

If you have any further questions for our real estate agents, which are not covered in the list above, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with a member of our team today.

Our experienced property agents are on hand to provide you with any assistance you need to help you to purchase, sell, rent or let a property with ease.

Give us a call on the following numbers:

Sales: 01243 531155

Lettings: 01243 531111